Are You Eating at the Right Times? 10 Ways to Know
Observing patterns in your meal/snack timing can indicate when you might be eating for reasons other than hunger and properly fueling your body's energy needs.
The easiest way to know if you're eating at an appropriate time is to
Ask yourself, "Does it make logical sense for me to eat right now?"
Use these additional questions to help narrow down whether it's logically time for you to eat:
10 Ways to Know if it's Time To Eat:
- Has it been more than a couple of hours since you had a snack or several hours since you had a meal?
- Did you miss your last meal/snack or was it significantly inadequate?
- Have you been fasting?
- Will it be an unreasonably long time until your next snack/meal (discounting sleeping hours)?
- Have you been grazing or eating constantly since your last meal, or throughout the day/night?
- Are you extending the meal or continuing to eat past a reasonable meal end time?
- Are you in need of fuel for exercise you just finished or will soon start?
- Are you eating when you should be sleeping?
- Are you eating close to bedtime, unnecessarily?
- Have you been medically directed to eat at this time?
Should you find yourself answering "no" to all of the above questions, there's a good chance you might not have a physical need to eat at that particular time.
If you still feel the urge to eat, you might review other factors contributing to your desire to eat at that specific moment.